How To Choose the Best Crib Mattress
Choosing the best crib mattress for your kid or infant is not as easy as choosing a mattress for yourself. One main reason I can site is “comfort”. Yes, owing to budget constraints we adults can readily compromise on a few comfort factors but it won’t be the same while selecting a mattress for your young infant or toddler.
New born infants sleep for nearly 18 to 20 hours a day. And till they turn 3 or 4 years old they sleep for at least 10-12 hours daily. As they spend most of their time sleeping, as parents I believe it is our duty to ensure that they find the best quality sleep. And one way we can provide them this comfort is by choosing the best crib mattress.
Yes, there are several mattresses for kids in the market today but before you go ahead and select one, you should definitely know the important parameters you should look for before buying a mattress for your lovely babies.
- Breathability: The mattress’s top layer and the cover should have perfect ventilation. This helps get rid of all the unruly odor in case there is a leak.
- Ease of cleaning: The mattress cover should be removable and the top layer should be waterproof and allow wiping or spot cleaning.
- Weight: Light weight mattresses help in easy portability. You can move them from room to another without needing help from others. However, light mattresses are again not always the best until they provide sufficient amount of density.
- Density: Density matters when you are selecting a mattress for your kid. Kids tend to move while asleep and they even sleep face down. This might result in your baby’s face sinking into the mattress that might result in suffocation. This is one of the primary reasons for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). A mattress that is firm avoids your baby from sinking deep into the mattress and right amount of firmness provides the ultimate comfort level.
- Chemical Free: The materials from which the mattresses are made have to be absolutely chemical free. While buying a memory foam mattress for your kid, please always check if it is CertiPUR-US certified. The certification means, all layers and material used are as per the required standards. Always go for organic crib mattresses which do not have heavy metals or flame retardants that are otherwise harmful for kids.
- Spring mattress or memory foam mattress: It depends on the comfort level again. Spring mattresses are firmer than foam mattresses but are heavy and can’t be easily moved from one room to another. Whereas, memory foam mattresses are plusher and offer much better comfort levels than spring mattresses and are portable as well. But when choosing a memory mattress, always ensure to check the density level, material made from and whether the top layer and its cover are washable.
There are additionally mattresses that come with dual sides. Yes, one side is firmer and designed specifically for infants and new born. The other side is comparatively softer and offers plush and comfort. The mattress can be turned to this side for use when your infant grows. It is best suitable for young kids and toddlers. So, one dual stage mattress can meet your requirement from the time your kid is born, till they turn 3 or 4 years old.
Layers of few mattresses come with hypoallergenic features providing antimicrobial and antibacterial.
Keep an eye on the mattress sizes as well. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) of United States has put down the standards sizes for both cribs and mattresses. The width of cribs has to be 28 ± 5⁄8 inches and length 52 3⁄8 ± 5⁄8 inches. And for crib mattresses, the width has to be 27 1/4 inches and length 51 1/4 inches.
Finally, before buying mattress for your infant or young toddler be very cautious about the above mentioned parameters while analyzing best crib mattress reviews.
This is not a sponsored post. There are no affiliate links in this post. This is just a friendly post. According to the FTC, this post is within it’s guidelines.
523 434 146 598